week 5

The Flyers beat the Capitals last night 8-2. So, I am incredibly happy to say the least. Great showing from everyone. Other than that this week has been pretty uneventful. We're kind of in the calm of the storm right now before midterm season.

This week in class we had our first app smackdown. I went first with StockTwits. It's essentially Twitter for the stock market. I thought it was a really neat idea. It's easy to get caught up in the technical side of stocks, so seeing people's feelings other than just reading a balance sheet is refreshing. Everyone else in class also had some really innovative apps that I can see many people getting use out of.

Our assigned reading this week was chapter 6 of LOL...OMG.  This chapter discussed the, "content of your content." The chapter urges the reader to ask themselves questions about why they are posting content, and how others view your content. One example in the chapter is of Miley Cyrus posting goofy pictures with some friends. In it she has her eye's pulled back with her fingers. You know what I'm talking about. People found it racist. Although, there is an Asian person sitting right next to her who doesn't seem to care. Even though you don't see it as offensive, and all the people you're with don't see it as offensive, other people may. In my opinion, I think it is smart to be incredibly conservative with your thoughts and postings on social media to keep up a professional persona. The littlest thing can put a doubt in a potential employers mind. (or you can make a Reddit and stay anonymous) 

The first LiveBinders link I choose to talk about is here. I thought this was a really cool way to keep important emails archived. It also lets you keep online receipts archived which is becoming more and more important as we do more shopping online.

The second article I choose is here. The article discisses which note taking app you should choose for your business; Evernote or OneNote. The biggest point made to me is the pen input. For me personally, I feel like I retain information better when I physically write it rather than typing it. I don't know why that is, but if it were my business I would go with OneNote for that one reason.

This last one is actually a really cool feature for students. OneNote enables you to record, say your lectures. This isn't novel in itself, but if you are also taking notes on OneNote it will keep time stamps of where you wrote your notes during the recording. This sounds like a great way for students to retain information. Not only can they listen to the lecture again, but they can also see what they thought was most important during class. I'm a big fan of this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 4

Week 3

week 8