week 9

This week in class we listened to someone speak who is a police officer in Memphis. It was neat to hear all of the ways technology has evolved the way he does his job and it was really cool hearing some of the stories he's amassed over the years. We also went over some different resources to use when building a website.

This week our assigned reading was the last two chapters in "LOL...OMG". The second to last chapter (chapter 10) talks about your digital citizenship. It talks about how what you say in tweets or facebook posts online are only part of your citizenship. It is also how you act and convey yourself to other people. You are in control of how you act online. You may not be able to control everything everyone posts about you, but you can control how you respond to those things. The next chapter talks about our reputations online and anonymity. I agree with the author when he says there is still good use for staying anonymous online. I get that you can say whatever you want and not have to suffer any consequences, but you can say whatever you want and not suffer any consequences. I think this is a double edged sword. On one side I think being anonymous online encourages deeper and more thought provoking discussions. However, on the other end, it can just as easily create an environment for hate.

The first article for LiveBinders this week can be found here. This article talks about constructing the best about me page you can. It gives you tips and tricks on what's the best way to go about this. I especially got a kick out of the section about 'about me' photos. My personal favorite was the "I'm so funny" photo which makes the person look a lot more weird and eccentric than just outgoing. However, my personal favorite about me photo is disappointingly not listed in here, which is the "I don't like putting my face on the internet so I'm just going to use a picture of my cat instead photo".

The second article for LiveBinders this week can be found here. This article lays out some of the different resources for creating your own website. Out of all the sources listed I think the one I'm most likely to end up trying is square space. I've heard advertisements for square space on a lot of the podcasts I listen to and I've heard very little negative things about their service. One thing I especially like that the article mentions is square space has their own team dedicated to cyber security.

The third article for LiveBinders this week can be found here. This article talks about how web design has been vastly improved over the years. The article mentions that msn.com took more than a minute to load until a few years ago. I feel like even a few years ago something taking a minute to load is absurdly long. One really interesting fact it gives though is there are 1.2 billion mobile internet users in the world. That's an insanely high number. It's definitely higher than what I expected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 4

Week 3

week 8