Week 3

Hello fellow bloggers! Hope you all had a fantastic week as usual. Personally I've been under the weather for the last few days, but I'm not going to let that stop me from writing my blog.

This week we read chapters 3 and 5 of "LOL...OMG". There are two points (one from each chapter) that I'd like to touch on. First, in chapter 3 it is noted that if you do not edit the privacy settings on your Facebook. Theoretically, over 296 million people have access to that information. I don't know how that makes you feel, but it makes me uneasy. What is not noted is that anyone with a little hacking knowledge can easily find out a lot more than just what your last status update on Facebook was. All of your posts, the times you posted them, the exact computer from which you posted them from, and even a live face cam from the web camera on your computer can all be found out with little trouble. Granted, to do this you need to commit well over 10 felonies, but the fact remains it's still possible. And if you are exceptionally good it is very possible to cover your tracks to make yourself untraceable. All the information that people have access to online skives me out. Personally, I don't save any passwords or credit card info on my computer. I also find a great barrier of protection is to use a VPN. It stands for Virtual Private Network and what it essentially does is create a large barrier between you and someone trying to gain access to your information. My VPN changes my IP (your IP is essentially the key to unlock all your info) address multiple times every hour to different places across the globe. Making me invisible to the naked eye online.
The next topic I'd like to discuss is the notion of a superiority bias online. We are inherently born with these biases ingrained into us, but I think the internet and social media have brought these biases more to the surface. I see it everywhere. Facebook, twitter, and especially Instagram there are people competing against each other thinking that they're better than the next. It's almost as if people aren't conscious to it either and that kind of scares me. For example (this is true), my mom showed me her Facebook feed when I was just finishing up high school. All over it was filled with moms posting pictures of their sons or daughters and a description of what school they were going to, what scholarship they got, or what sport they were playing. Which is all good and fine. What scared me is, none of the posts mentioned anywhere how happy they were for their kids. It felt as if everyone of these posts was a direct response to the last. Trying to one up the person who posted before them. It's narcissism. It's why I stopped using Facebook and Instagram. It's a competition. In my opinion I see social media as a source to make friends, not compete against them.

This week we got to listen to Mark Schlereth talk business and his personal experience with social media. I think he brought some great insight and I certainly learned some great new information. I thought the examples with Skip and Charles were especially funny because they both really do spew nonsense. One thing I question though is the notion that his son can not handle a twitter account. His son is 31 years old. If he isn't mature enough in his life to handle social media at this point then he never will be. I think Mark projected his own feelings onto his son. He mentions that he will respond to 'trolls' and other people who are being rude which is the worst possible thing you can do because it's exactly what they want you to do. He also mentions people calling him an idiot and then using the wrong your. I don't know where he's been, but people have been insulting other people and using the wrong your since social medias beginning. If something like that gets under your skin then you definitely shouldn't be using social media. I don't think this is all necessarily Mark's fault though. Growing up in an older generation he wasn't exposed to the underbelly of the internet until he was probably well into his twenties. While people in my generation basically grew up with people insulting us online. For me at least, I know I've been getting insulted online since I got xbox live when I was 8 getting called a squeaker for my prepubescent high pitched voice. It's easy for me to hear and insult and immediately dismiss it, but I could see how if you're not used to being insulted or the atrocious grammar and language people use when sitting behind a computer screen how it can effect you and make you lash out.

I'm going to keep the articles short this week as I feel I dragged the blog out a little bit.

The first article from LiveBinders this week can be found here. In it it discusses using google hangout as a means to grow your business. I think google hangout is a great tool for anyone in a business setting.

The second article can be found here. This one discusses how more and more social media is being used as a platform for marketing and for good reason. It is a great way to reach and appeal to a younger demographic.

The third article can be found here. In it it talks about the new update to google translate. Basically, you don't have to worry about getting charged for using it in another country as it is now all on an app. Great news for all the travel enthusiasts out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 4

week 8