week 4

Another week, another blog. This week was a pretty awesome week. Hockey season has begun, and the Flyers are two and one so I'm feeling pretty good.

This week we were assigned the first chapter Untangling The Web by Steven Dembo and Adam Bellow. The first chapter talks about curating information sources to benefit educators. They talk about three curation sites; Symbaloo, Diigo, and eduClipper. The interface that Symbaloo uses, called Webmix,  creates a ten by six grid that can be customized to be linked to thousands of different websites. I can see how this can be incredibly useful to educators. It's an interesting way for students to get engaged in a topic being discussed in class.

In class this week we had a guest speaker from the writing center talk to us about APA formatting. It actually ending up being really helpful as I had two papers due in APA format this week. We also saw a video of someone identifying people on the street via instagram posts, twitter posts, etc.. It's creepy how transparent we are when we use social media. We also got together in groups and had to determine pros and cons of our assigned social media outlet. Our's was snapchat. I personally think our cons far outweighed our pros. I would not use snapchat for advertising purposes.

The first Live Binders article this week can be found here. One section in particular I want to talk about is at the bottom where it talks about scams. Not many people know there are websites dedicated to modifying links in order to obtain IP addresses. It's actually scary how easy it is. You can turn any link into something that tracks the IP of where it was opened. I'm actually mind blown it's legal.

The next article can be found here. This article discusses things that students should not do on social media. I agree with all of them.  However number 10 (unprofessional public profiles) made me realize how little social media actually portrays who we are. Obviously I understand why you  don't want a potential employer to see you with solo cups in your hand, but it's lame that it's come to this. That we now have to put on a persona for employers.

The third article can be found here. This article discusses tips for students and their digital footprint. two things I want to touch on in here. One, it says to google yourself. I have googled myself multiple times and have never found any pictures or accounts. It's because I never use my real name for social media, which seems to be a really smart move in hindsight. It also says at the end of the article to get a VPN and to use Tor. I would recommend everyone do both of those tihngs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3

week 8